With the new year always comes a list of resolutions made by so many people, to change something about their lives. I hate resolutions though, especially if they are created for new year's. Maybe that's negative of me. The optimism associated with these goals is great, but I'm a firm believer people don't change unless they want to. Unless God wants them to. When you want to change something you shouldn't wait around to make it happen. Start today.
And now I sound like a coach. Or an athletic advertisement. Or a classroom poster.
But I had a purpose for that rant. I didn't make a resolution, but strangely enough I had decided to make a goal for myself around the new year, the start of this semester. Last semester, my phrase was "Just Breathe". I had been so stressed I forgot to relax. I'd say last semester I learned to breathe. Last year I learned forgiveness. Last year I accepted grace. Last year I felt renewed. It was a process. It still is a process, but those were the big themes of 2011 for me. 2011 was about renewal, 2012 is about what comes after being renewed. My 2012 is about the continuation of that renewal. It's about where I go from here.
I started running. I've been running 3-4 times a week, and I can't even begin to tell you how great it feels. My body feels great. I'm happier. But the physical running isn't the only thing different. I've learned a lot about myself this past year. Last year I grew closer to Christ than I ever have, but the funny thing about relationships is the danger of comfort. I've started growing comfortable. I'm becoming stagnant. I realized I can't just let Jesus fix me and not need Him anymore, just like I can't run a few miles and call myself in-shape.
This could've been written better, but my brain is scattered, so this will have to do for now.
"Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us RUN with endurance the race that is set before us, 2 looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God." -Hebrews 12:1-2
No comments:
Post a Comment